Mollydee5

Mismatched Bookends

Changing the way you think and blog about books!

How I Got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love
Ken Baker
Progress: 35/269 pages
Notes from Underground
Michelle Davidson Argyle, Judy Croome, Anne R. Allen, Lavanya Krishnan, Simon C. Larter, B.A. McMillan, Cee Martinez, J.B. Chicoine, Jean Michelle Miernik, C.N. Nevets, Yvonne Osborn, Beth Overmyer, Susannah E. Pabot, Summer Ross, Rachel Becker, Lisa M. Shafer, Nevine Su
Progress: 36/253 pages
Untouchable (Everwinter Series, #1)
Alice Janell
Ruby: A Novel
Cynthia Bond
Progress: 43/326 pages

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - a review

(ANYTHING MENTIONED IN THE BEGINNING OF THIS REVIEW SOUNDS LIKE A SPOILER BUT IT IS IN THE FIRST FEW PAGES OF THE BOOK)

I have adored Neil Gaiman since I first read his comic books in the late 80's, early 90's. I was told this was a children's book but after reading other children's books, there is no rule that says adults will not also fully enjoy them.

This is the story of a one and a half year old baby whos family is murdered, as he was meant to be also, but being precocious, he just walked out the open front door. Where did he find himself? In the Graveyard. There was much discussion among the dead of what they should do with this living child who needed help. The recently deceased mother appeared in the graveyard in "fuzzy televsion" form to ask Mrs. Owens (deceased) to please take care of her child.

The book tells about many people in the graveyard, how Nobody Owens(the little boy) gets to eat, learns how to read and write, and learns to move among the living and the dead.

There are things you do not find out until the end and I personally never would have guessed, and was blown away! I loved Silas, Nobody Owens guardian. So good, so mysterious.

As Nobody encounters good and evil, he has to practice and remember how to move among the living and dead, as well as many other lessons, to protect himself, and to learn the answers to his questions. And he has lot of questions, many that will not get answered until that he grows older.

This was not just a book, it was an amazing journey. I would be curious to go beyond where it ended to see what continues to happen to Nobody Owens. But I think that was the best part of the book-you just have to use your imagination.

I will, based on this book, be reading everything Neil Gaiman has written.